That's a wrap...close the curtain. The best TV show ever made (at least in my humble opinion) had its last episode a few weeks ago and it's the end of an era. In honor of this we look back at the last 8 years and reminisce. Remember "The Red Wedding"? "The Battle of the Bastards"? "The Viper vs The Mountain"? "Hold the Door"? The first time Daenerys screamed "Dracarys"? I could go on and on. We, at Conmose Central, love to write about movie and series quotes, so we thought it might be fun to look back at some of the most iconic quotes of the last 8 seasons! Of course we can not put all of them in one article, so let's make it a series. Today: the second one in the series (be sure to read the first article about Tyrion) and we look back at some of the best quotes of two men that operated in the shadows. Both are walking quote machines: I am of course talking about Lord Varys (Conleth Hill) and Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish (Aidan Gillen).
- “Power is a curious thing, my lord… Power resides where men believe it resides. It’s a trick, a shadow on the wall. And, a very small man can cast a very large shadow”
- "Every time a Targaryen is born, the gods toss a coin, and the world holds its breath."
- “I became an excellent thief, and soon learned that the contents of a man’s letters are more valuable than the contents of his purse”
- “Influence grows like a weed. I tended mine patiently, until its tendrils reached from the Red Keep all the way across to the far side of the world, where I managed to wrap them around something very special”
- "Give us common folk one taste of power and we’re like the lion who tasted man
– nothing is ever so sweet again”
- “You wish to know where my true loyalties lie? Not with any king or queen, but with the people. The people who suffer under despots and prosper under just rule, the people whose hearts you aim to win”
- "He would see this country burn if he could be king of the ashes”
- "The storms come and go, the waves crash overhead. The big fish eats the little fish and I keep on paddling..."
- "Perhaps we've grown so used to horror, we assume there's no other way."
- "The powerful have always preyed on the powerless, that's how they became powerful in the first place..."
- "Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, but they refuse. They cling to the realm or the gods or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is."
- "Always keep your enemies confused. If they don’t know who you are or what you want, they can’t predict your next move."
- "I have always found revenge to be the purest of motivations."
-"The past is gone for good. You can sit here mourning it’s departure,
or prepare for the future."
- “Brothels make a much better investment than ships I’ve found. Whores rarely sink”
- “Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to do next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make moves that have no purpose, or even seem to work against you. Remember that, Sansa, when you come to play the game.”.
- "We only make peace with our enemies, my lord. That's why it's called 'making peace."
- “Money buys a man’s silence for a time. A bolt in the heart buys it forever”
- “People die at their dinner tables, they die in their beds, they die squatting over their chamber pots. Everybody dies sooner or later. And don’t worry about your death, worry about your life. Take charge of your life for as long as it lasts."
- “Don’t fight in the north or the south. Fight every battle, everywhere, always, in your mind. Everyone is your enemy, everyone is your friend, every possible series of events is happening, all at once. Live that way, and nothing will surprise you. Everything that happens will be something that you’ve seen before”