A few weeks ago our series tip was “Stranger Things”. As I already mentioned in that article I was absolutely stunned by the acting of the girl playing Eleven. Well her name is Millie Bobby Brown and this week she is in our spotlight!
Millie Brown was born on the 19th of February 2004 in Spain to British parents. When she was 7 years old, her parents sold everything and the family moved to Orlando, Florida (USA). In the US, Millie took acting classes as a pastime on Saturdays. She was getting roles in “NCIS” (Rachel Barnes), “Grey’s Anatomy” (Ruby), “Modern Family” (Lizzie) and “Intruders” (Madison O’Donell). She also made the shortlist for a lot of huge projects, but never got the major roles. Those were hard times for the Brown Family; they gave up everything for Millie to be able to fulfill her dreams, but they were in a very tight spot at one time. They had to loan money from Millie’s manager. But eventually money ran out; they had to admit defeat and moved back to England. At this point Millie thought her career was over before it really started and she wasn’t getting any roles in England. Then she got the call about the audition for “Stranger Things”.
During the first audition she was very emotional, but she got a call back. What followed were multiple (taped) auditions; they were all done with “dummy sides”. You might ask: with what?? Well “dummy sides” are fake scenes to test out the actor, without revealing any important plots or storylines. During the final audition, however, she was confronted with a tricky part of her role. She talked about it in an interview. Apparently she was standing in the room with the Duffer brothers (the writers and producers of the show), when Ross Duffer approached her and made a sound; it was “BZZZZZZZZZ”. She asked him what he was doing and Ross said she had to shave her head. Brown said she was ok with it, but her Mom was not. Her mom’s first reaction was that it was not going to happen, but Millie (and her dad) told her to calm down. Millie said she thought it was fine, because she knew it would grow back. But when she was in the chair and they were cutting it off, she began to doubt her decision and they told her to have the mind frame of Charlize Theron in Mad Max. And that pulled her through. Now she thinks it’s the best decision she ever made (she even posted the video of shaving her head on her Twitter account).
Brown talked about the preparations for the show in multiple interviews. She said that she (and the rest of the cast) got a lot of homework. The producers wanted them to watch “Poltergeist”, “The Goonies” and “Stand by Me”. The most important movie, however, was “E.T.”. They told her to study the way E.T. interacts with the children.
Let’s talk some other (fun) facts about this incredibly talented girl:
- She watched a lot of Disney Channel programs, which helped her to speak with an American accent.
- She picked up a Southern accent too and she likes to use it on strangers sometimes “just for kicks”.
- While shaving her head she thought about Charlize Theron (“Mad Max”) and co-star Winona Ryder (“Alien: Resurrection”). She thinks Ryder was pretty cool with that haircut and hoped she could bring back the pixie look.
- The most important reason for going ahead with the shaving of her head was to change the way people think nowadays.
“Society's telling people that girls have long hair, boys have short hair.' I didn't want to rebel, but I thought, 'I've got to change something, I've got to make sure everybody knows that it's OK to have short hair,' because it is!"
- When people talk to her like she is a boy, she likes to roll with it and calls herself John.
- In 2014, the King of Horror himself, Stephen King, twittered about her role in “Intruders”. He praised her for her acting and called her terrific.
- She is being home schooled and gets bored easily. To entertain herself she goes to the gym a lot. In there she likes to do some Thai boxing, Jujitsu and normal boxing (she even has a punching bag in her garden). She says she is obsessed with working out.
- Millie likes to write casual essays about whales, dolphins and other things aquatic (except for sharks; they scare the living hell out of her).
Well it’s needless to say that Millie Bobby Brown is a very interesting girl and I think she has a lot of potential as an actress. I’m looking forward to seeing her in other roles in the future. I dare to say that I think that her performance in “Stranger Things” is the best acting I’ve seen this year!